VIKRITI ANALYSIS AND REMEDIES
(Understanding the Imbalanced State of the Body)
'Prakriti' denotes the normal state of Tridosha while ‘Vikriti’ denotes its abnormal or imbalanced state of the body.
By answering the following questions you can estimate the state of imbalance of your Dosha.
When do you need to balance Vata?
- Are you restless?
- Are you worried constantly?
- Are you suffering from palpitations?
- Are you under weight?
- Do you experience different kinds of pain such as Tearing pain, Breaking pain, Pricking pain, Cutting pain, radiating pain etc?
- Do you have numbness or lack of sensation in any part of your body?
- Are you tired even by small work?
- Do you feel stiff?
- Do you have deformity in your body?
- Do you feel tingling sensations or tremors?
- Do feel emptiness in any part of your body?
- Does your skin become dry?
- Do you suffer from insomnia?
- Is there a black discoloration in your skin, nail etc?
- If yes, to above questions, it indicates an imbalanced state of vata. In this condition one should adopt the diet & life style advised for vata, to pacify and balance the vata.
Life style for vata
- Vata is cold; hence consumption of warm food is essential as it helps in digestion and also with the downward passage of vata.
- Vata is dry, therefore unctuous food is beneficial as it helps in stimulating the digestion process, gives vigor to the body and sense faculties, and improves skin texture.
- Vata is erratic hence food should be consumed only after the digestion of the previous meal. This helps to promote good digestion, appetite, proper expression of the natural urges and increases longevity of the person.
- Foods that are incompatible should be avoided.
- Avoid consumption of coffee or tea on an empty stomach. They create restlessness.
- A light, warm, unctuous & nourishing food is suitable as breakfast for Vata type persons. They should not skip breakfast as they tend to be weak. Their breakfast should preferably be porridge- light and sweet.
- Drinking warm milk with palm sugar and 5 ml of ghee at bedtime is very good for Vata
- Eat at regular intervals. Try to follow the same mealtime daily.
- Do not skip meals. This may further weaken your system.
- Foods that are predominant in sweet, sour and salty taste and hot in potency should be taken
- Eating food at the right place and the right time helps to reduce emotional strains.
- Eating in a hurry or carelessly results in the food entering the wrong channels. This could lead to severe complications.
- Eating extremely slowly does not give pleasure and impairs absorption.
- Focus on the food while eating. Knowing about the benefits of food is necessary for good health.
- Apart from this one also needs to avoid practice of a life style that is bad for one's well being.
Recommendations to be followed by persons of Vataja constitution are :
- Taking a massage with warm sesame oil or mustard oil
- Apply oil on your head ears & foot for sure. Fill your ears with oil for some time.
- Gargle with sesame oil or ghee to prevent the dryness of the mouth & cracking of the lips.
- Take a nice bath with hot water. It invigorates the body immediately.
- Application of green gram powder is advised during the bath. Avoid soaps, since it may produce dryness of the skin.
- Sleeping during daytime is advised for vata, since the kapha produced during the day- sleep nourishes the body.
- Keep your self-warm. Avoid cold by wearing thick clothing. Wear a scarf to protect your ears and throat. Avoid long exposure to Air conditioners.
- Involve yourself in singing, dancing and Yogic Exercises
- Since vata is erratic, to balance this nature of vata, make a regular routine for your life.
- Evening stroll under moonlight
- Listen to good things and good music
- Avoid stress, worry and anxiety
- Chant mantras that are calming like, sham, vam and lam.
- Go early to the bed.
- Fasting- vata is already weak hence fasting will worsen the condition.
- Eating in small quantities that are less than sufficient. This will also lead to lack of nourishment
- Too much of worries, fear and anger. These emotions increase vata
When do you need to balance Pitta?
- Do you experience burning sensations in your stomach, skin or any other body parts?
- Do you develop reddish rash of the skin or pimples?
- Do you feel that your body is heated up?
- Do you sweat more?
- Do you feel the burning sensation in your eyes?
- Do you faint frequently?
- Have you observed yellow, green, green, blackish discolorations of the body, eyes, nails, stools etc?
- Would you become irritated or frustrated often?
- Are you a perfectionist?
- Do you have premature graying of hair or baldness?
If yes, to the most of above questions, it indicates an imbalanced state of Pitta. In this condition one should adopt the diet & life style advised for Pitta, to pacify the Pitta.
Lifestyle For Pitta
- Take bath in cold water twice a day. Taking an immersion bath in river, lake or tank in the daytime is very good to balance pitta.
- Avoid coffee or tea in the morning especially on an empty stomach. They may aggravate your pitta.
- Roam with a good friend who don’t control you, in pleasing places such as seashore, park, fountains & falls.
- Stay in a cool house.
- Spend time near water reservoirs.
- Enjoy the cool sea breeze.
- Swimming is very good for pitta.
- Spend more time in cold weather or living in a cool place.
- Drinking cold water / juice.
- Pitta people are advised to do mild exercises.
- Exercise to half of your capacity.
- Applying cold pack with mud or cloth dipped in water, wearing pleasant smelling flower necklace or pearl necklace or crystal necklace is advisable.
- Take sweet, cooling & mild purgatives such as Avipathy churnam, triphala churna or Grapes etc.
- Be exposed to and enjoy the cooling moonlight.
- Relieve your stress by hearing the sweet voice of a child.
- Listen to pleasant music.
- Try reducing your short tempered nature by doing meditation.
- Chant cooling mantras such as vam, yam, lam and sham.
- Anoint your body with sandal wood paste, camphor, agaru (Aloes wood) & paste of other pleasant smelling & cooling herbs.
- Use of perfumes always is good for pitta.
- Take more melted ghee in your diet.
- Taking 1 spoon of ghee with hot milk at 11 ‘o’ clock (pitta predominant time of the day) is very beneficial.
- Do not miss your meal as the tikshna agni (the sharp digestive fire) of pitta will start digesting the tissues & cause debility.
- More foods predominant in sweet, bitter & astringent tastes should be taken.
- Food with contradictory potencies should be avoided.
- Eating food at the right position and the right time helps to decrease emotional strains.
- Eating in a rush or eating carelessly results in the food entering the erroneous passage. This gives rise to consequences that cause severe complications.
- Food should be eaten meditatively.
- Knowledge of the benefits of food is necessary for good health. Apart from this one also needs to follow a restricted life or at least avoid practices that are bad for one's well-being.
- Usage of heater.
- Roaming out during summer season.
- Riding on animals.
- Excessive walking in hot weather.
- Taking foods that are pungent, sour and salty in taste.
- Excessive stress.
- Emotions like anger and hatred.
When do you need to balance Kapha?
- Do you feel heavy?
- Is your skin very oily?
- Are you lethargic?
- Is your body itching?
- Do you gain weight easily?
- Do you get cold & cough frequently?
- Is your tongue & skin coated?
- Do you feel as if wet cloth is lying upon the body?
- Do you have swelling?
- Do you suffer from poor appetite & indigestion?
- Do you feel always sleepy?
- Do you feel discomfort in cold & damp weather?
- Do you have white or pale discoloration?
If yes, to the most of above questions, it indicates an imbalanced state of Kapha. In this condition one should adopt the diet & life style advised for Kapha, to pacify the Kapha
Factors that increase Kapha
- Taking excessive sweet, sour & salty foods
- Excessive unctuous foods
- Heavy foods
- Excessive nourishment
- Taking foods heavy & fatty unctuous foods such as yogurt, cheese, ice creams, meats, milk, fried foods, black gram etc.
- Taking more cooling foods
- Taking food before previous meal is digested
- Lack of exercise & sedentary life style
- Laziness, greed, possessiveness\
- Day sleep & excessive sleep
Lifestyle For Kapha
- The kapha people tend to put on weight. So following a proper exercise regime helps to maintain weight.
- Sleeping late in the night induces dryness in the body, which balances the excessive oiliness of kapha.
- Kapha people have lot of strength and endurance. So exerting themselves helps to utilize and balance kapha dosha. If proper exertion is not given, it may lead to sleepiness and to laziness.
- Traveling is very good for kapha, as it increases vata that balances the kapha.
- Drinking hot water helps in balancing the coldness of kapha.
- Taking bath with hot water is also equally good. It gives an immediate energy & lightness of body.
- Taking hot steam bath or inhaling hot steam helps in eliminating the excessive kapha by melting it.
- Fasting is advised for kapha people, It the best way to bring down the heaviness of the body.
- Taking a dry massage with herbal powders that are hot in potency is very good for balancing the kapha dosha. It melts the excessive fat under the skin & eliminates them. The dry massage also gives a good texture to the skin.massage are also best suited for kapha.
- Taking diet predominant of pungent, bitter & astringent tastes is advisable.
- The food should be warm, light, dry, prepared with spices, cooked without much of water with a minimum usage of butter, oil and sugar. It should be stimulating in nature.
- Taking alcohol in small quantities, at night times and after food, helps to balance kapha.
- Frequent indulgence in sex is also good for kapha people.
- Taking sunbath and exposure to hot and dry wind is good.
- Keep the mind active with new thoughts, projects and information.
- Induce vomit, using warm salt water, once a while to balance the kapha.
- Chant stimulating mantras such as ham, yam, Om, aim, hrim.
- Not following an exercise regime.
- Sleeping during daytime is a very bad habit. It will increase kapha and fat, and it is the cause for disease such as diabetes and obesity.
- Using cold water for bath.
- Taking bath many times in a day.
- Traveling during cold & damp weather conditions
- Eating many times in a day.
- Eating in the early mornings and late evenings.
- Cold and ice water
- Applying cool things on the body
Dr Bijitha K P